We were curious. If we could provide a good looking pass for a retailer, would consumers be more likely to download that retailer's native app from the back of the pass?
This is a pretty important question, because as we all know, retailers have large teams working to perfect their mobile web apps and native apps. But...getting people to actually download those apps is always challenging. For these hardworking mobile teams, the lack of downloads is a real problem which threatens their ability to get the support of their organization.
So...can passes be used to increase app downloads? Absolutely.
Passes can be a quick and easy way way to give customers a "taste" of the retailers brand experience, eventually leading to a mobile download. Keep in mind that passes are so quick for consumers to download -- 10 seconds -- and that means they are impulse decisions.
Now, the survey results:
We asked customers if they liked what they saw on the pass, would they consider downloading a merchant's full mobile app on their phone. The answer was "Yes" for 71% of respondees.
In retrospect this is pretty obvious...
- The link is right there, the customer is happy with the pass, so it's an easy next step for them to download the app.
- It's actually easier to get them to download an app via this 2-step process. The first step is the easy commitment. Once you've hooked them, the second step if less threatening to them.
- Once they have the app, they get more functionality (and if the app developers are smart, they will deliver more passes as well from that app).
Advice for Merchants:
- Distribute passes widely and aggressively.
- Make sure those passes are beautiful representations of your brand.
- Invite customers to download your mobile app from back of pass.
- Give them more passes from the apps they download.
- Uses passes as an easy and fast way to spread your mobile experience VIRALLY. In a later blog post, we'll tell you more about our experiments using passes as "fast vectors" for viral transmission of mobile apps.
Of course the Passbook format is so perfectly designed for this. Just pop your native app download link into the pass and it's displayed prominently on the back of the pass.